How do you save?

wasteful35

For years, I’ve been working for myself but I have never really had any savings. I’m not sure how to effectively do it. Everytime I attempt to save money, I end up using it one way or another. I usually just put my money in my savings account and leave it there to “save” but I end up withdrawing most, if not all, of it. This was okay when I didn’t have plans to start a family but now everything has changed. I have a girlfriend and though it’s only been six months since I met her at a marriage tour, I realized I need to get my life together and I should start by saving for my future. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to save effectively? Should I start segregating my salary?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Patricia

What I recommend is to take 10% of what you make, first thing after you cash in your paycheck and just put it aside in an account that you’ll not go into. This is your cushion in case things go bad. Then use 20% of the money for paying debts you might have or for investing in something that could bring you more money down the road. And finally use the remaining 70% of the money to live on – food, bills, clothes, etc. Always stay within that 70%. It’s going to be hard at first but after 2-3 months you’ll love seeing your debts being paid on time and also being able to save some money. And you’ll be making smarter buying decisions because you can only use 70% of the money.