My girlfriend has always talked about wanting us to go to Paris together, so I’ve always had in mind that I would surprise her with a proposal in Paris when the time came, and I think that time is now! I just don’t want it to all be too cheesy and predictable – I’m not one for big gestures, so I have a feeling this would be a massive giveaway!
How would you suggest I disguise it, so that she has no idea what’s coming?
Thanks so much for your question and congratulations on being ready to propose to your girlfriend. Paris is such a romantic place – the perfect setting for any proposal! She is a lucky girl that you’ve chosen such a memorable location for becoming engaged.
If I understand correctly, you want to keep the proposal a surprise, yet you are afraid she will know it is coming just by your suggestion to take a trip to France. If this sort of thing is truly out of character for you, she may have a “hint” that you intend to make Paris the site of your becoming engaged, once you announce the trip.
As to how to disguise it, I have a few suggestions to offer and you can choose the one that is best suited for your needs.
1. Propose before the trip.Though I understand it is not as exciting as proposing in Paris, if you are certain she will know once you mention taking this vacation, you might consider making Paris the “celebration destination” and proposing at home with a ring, in addition to two airline tickets to France.
2. Propose en route. Even if she suspects a Paris proposal, she would likely never envision it in the airport while waiting for your flight or during the plane ride. In this way you could still maintain the element of surprise! If possible, it would be great if you could get the flight staff involved as well. I get chills thinking about the captain making normal announcements, and then announcing your proposal as well.
3. Propose right when you arrive. With a little planning, you can have your hotel room all set up with rose petals on the bed and champagne chilling in the room when you first arrive at your hotel. In this way, even if she suspected it, she will be surprised you arranged it all prior to arrival – and you can spend your entire trip celebrating, beginning with the first minute that you enter the room.
4. Pick a specific location. OK so everyone knows about the Eiffel Tower so that may be a bit too obvious but there are plenty of other places in Paris to propose. How about on a quiet stroll along the Seine at dusk or whilst sat outside a bistro on the Champs-Elysee. Or better still how about trying something like this brilliant love padlocks Paris marriage proposal?
5. Propose when going back home. This one is a little risky, because if your girlfriend is truly expecting a proposal, she could become disappointed as the trip continues on yet you never propose. You know your girlfriend’s personality the best so I will leave that up to you. But it is a sneaky way to disguise it – by not doing it until the very end. However, if it were me, I would love to celebrate my engagement during my trip to Paris.
So those are some of my ideas in how to disguise your proposal in Paris. Tom, just remember that even if she suspects you will ask her to marry you, that isn’t a bad thing. Choosing such a romantic destination will create memories to last a lifetime. She will love you for proposing in such a beautiful way, even if she suspects you are traveling with an engagement ring.
Good luck and thank you for your question,